Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Getting wireless to work in HP Mini 110 with Ubuntu 10.10

In my last post I had mention about wireless problem in my netbook. Today, due to my assignment, I really need to get my wireless working. So, I google the problems and comeout with few solution. I tried the solution, and hell yeah, its work. wooohooo.

First of all, check the wireless card. My wireless card is Ralink RT3090. And ubuntu is using rt2800 for the wireless card, of course the wireless will not work, because it is not using the correct driver.

Now, the first step is to add the repository of the driver:

Open the terminal and type:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:markus-tisoft/rt3090
Do not update yet, now close the terminal and go to System > Administration > Software Sources

Change the Maverick to Lucid,

edit the last line to ubuntu lucid instead of ubuntu maverick

change the distribution to lucid instead of maverick, then click ok
The software sources will now updating itself. Let it be, then it will close by itself when the update process already finish.

Now, open the terminal and type:

sudo apt-get update

After the update finished, type:

sudo apt-get install rt3090-dkms 

You might think the wireless now, will work after you have reboot the netbook, but sorry to say, NO, its not working yet, because the rt2800 driver is still working. We need to blacklist the rt2800 driver in order for the rt3090 driver to work properly.

Assuming you haven't close your terminal yet, type the following into the terminal:

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

This command will open the blacklist.conf file and you need to add the following into the file:

#Blacklist RaLink drivers
blacklist rt2800pci
blacklist rt2800lib
blacklist rt2x00usb
blacklist rt2x00pci
blacklist rt2x00lib

Then save the file and close it.

Now, restart your netbook and try to connect to the wireless. It should be working now(I hope).
This solution is taken from here and here.

That all for today. I'm super happy since my ubuntu netbook can now connect to the wireless.

#edit 30/12/10 ; please leave comment if the solution is not working or applicable, and also if you guys have some times to spare, share you experience on linux with me.

9 comments:

  1. sorry for the late reply...
    it does work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Aisha, I can't get the wireless to work in my HP Mini 110 with Ubuntu 10.10. The specific characteristics are here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=mx&lc=es&dlc=es&docname=c01818931. Can you please give me some advice? mauconta @ gmail.com.

      Thank you,

      M

      Delete
    2. Hi M,

      Sorry for the late respond. First of all, I advise you to check the kernel version of your Ubuntu. Is it the very latest version? If it is the latest version and the fix doesn't work, revert back to older version of the kernel.

      As for the netbook wireless driver, I'm not sure if your netbook use the same driver/hardware. It could be the different version of driver for the wireless card, such as Broadcom or Realtek. You can try to look at the HP site for the list of drivers that they provide for the netbook. From there,you can try to look for Ubuntu version of the driver. (should you get the name of the driver/wireless card, you can search for the package for ubuntu here https://launchpad.net/ )

      I hope this help. But you can always ask me again. I will try my best to help you.

      Aishah

      Delete
  2. i reverted back to linux mint 9 but then because of high battery consumption i switched to une 10.10 back now. thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you so much !! I been google around and tried many solution but dint work..or maybe i too n00b.
    Thanks for the guide with picture !!
    And thanks bastart for link me to here : )
    http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1785440

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I hope this would help me!!! I have a question: once you have installed the appropriate driver, do you chaange the software source to maverick again? or do you leave it as lucid?

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete